Waiting on a Revolution


It is roughly 2 weeks until I receive my long awaited 5'2 Aviso Trunk Board, after a long ordeal with finding an appropriate Importer I decided to go through Aviso Australia which was slightly more expensive but more for piece of mind buying from an Australian dealer rather than dealing with an online shop.
The board caught my eye when looking for a fish for summer; I was searching for a fish roughly around 5’9” with a nit of volume for the small waves Sydney gets in summer. As soon as I saw it I was a bit skeptical but after reading blogs and reviews of some of the Californian surfers I decided to invest.
The board was originally designed for Japan at a height of 5'0 as that was the maximum length for luggage on a train which is apparently the only way to get around Japan. San Clemente board shaper Cole Simler with help from Naki surf came up with the design which originally was for Japan now very popular in California.
Cole and Naki worked out by shortening the board by roughly a 1' the board had to make up buoyancy by altering the width and thickness.
Cole also cut a deep “bonzer” style concave running the full length of the board from the nose, through the fins, and out the bat wing style tail. The concave helps pull water down the board and distribute the water across the fins while reducing drag.




The design has been put together with carbon fiber and is hollow bodied making it extremely strong and light.






The dimensions of the board i chose is 5'2" in length, 21' 1/6" in width and 3' 1/8" thickness. To put it in perspective most average fun boards are 5'9" x 20'1/4" x 2'1/4 and your average short board being 6'1" x 19'1/8" x 2'1/2".
I currently am riding a 6’8 Mark Richards 1980’s twin fin which is a dream to paddle and catches everything, so as you can imagine jumping on a BD3 is like going from driving a 2 ton Truck to driving a smart car.
The main reason I want to get one is a fish for the smaller waves as well as a board that can fit in the boot of my car as my 6'8" takes up the boot and backseat of my car.
From what the Distributor has told me I will be one of, if not the first to Import a Trunk Board into Australia. If the trunk board is all it is cracked up to be, I believe that this will be well worth the money (AU$1500). Maybe it will change the way i surf, Maybe it will change the way boards are made in Australia. Maybe it'll be my very own revolution.




These are some pictures of the BD3 (Trunk Board) in action